An inspiring window into North America
Key figures 2017
- 1,005 exhibitors from 50 countries
- 16,578 visitors from 60 countries
- Hosted Buyer Program dedicated to American buyers
- La Cuisine
- SIAL Innovation
- World Tour
- A Wild Variety Captivating Events.
This year, the show was host to no less than 35 conferences touching on pressing topics. Also during this edition, more than 25 demonstration and discovery workshops were made available to promote our industry’s products and know-how. In addition, a colourful new event was held for the first time, on the second evening of the show: the Multicultural Evening. More than 300 industry professionals gathered in a relaxed setting, amid dancers and exotic dishes. It was an unforgettable evening!
- Olive d’Or: the biggest international extra-virgin olive oil contest in North America, attracted record numbers this year with 113 participating oils from 15 countries. The 12 best extra-virgin olive oils submitted by producers from around the world were selected to be named the Golden, Silver or Bronze Drops in their respective categories. The jury also selected 4 favourites to join the ranks of the best oils. And for the first time ever, a contest was held on the 3rd day of the show to select the most beautiful olive oil bottle. Congratulations to Picoto, a Portuguese oil, which took home the people’s choice award!
- The experts hub: a range of experts available for any attendees looking for special expertise. Innovation, Packaging, New foodservice concepts,etc.
- SIAL Food Hub: For the first time in Toronto, SIAL Canada presented SIAL Food Hub—an international summit organized in partnership with Canadian Grocer, the agri-food industry’s most influential media outlet—which welcomed more than 100 high profile participants who came to meet Vikram Vij, the famous Indian-Canadian chef known for his many successful ventures, as well as other experts on the Canadian ethnic food market.
- Canada is the second most immigrated-to country in the world: by 2017 visible minorities will account for 21% of Canada's population
- By 2017, a market worth US$ 5 billion
- 5th largest exporter of food products:
- Main clients: USA, China, Japan
- Main products: Meat, dairy products, cereals and oilseed crops
- 6th largest importer of food products:
- Main supplier: USA (62%)
- Main products: beverages, fruit and vegetables, cereals, milk-based products
- +14% ethnic supermarkets growth per year
- Strong price sensitivity: 36% of products are bought in the sales
- Growth of the organic sector:
- Organic development: Sobeys, Walmart, Wholefoods
- US$ 3.5 billion worth market
- 20 million Canadians buy organic products at least once a week