The regional business class event
- Regional WACS chefs competition: +650 chefs
- Up to 500 hosted buyers from 30 countries
- 800 exhibitors and brands from 53 countries
- 30 national pavilions
- 15,000 visitors from 91 countries and regions
- La Cuisine: organised by the Emirates Culinary Guild, La Cuisine by SIAL sees fierce competition between more than 650 chefs from all over the region.
- SIAL Innovation: unique celebration of 100+ most innovative food and beverage products out of 200+ submissions. All selected and finalist products are displayed at the dedicated
Innovation Area at SIAL Middle East. The Coffee Brewer from Soil Store, UAE was the Gold Award Winner in 2015 and has been invited to showcase their product at SIAL Innovation World Champions around the world.
- SIAL Innovation Champions: in 2015, 7 SIAL Innovation winners from SIAL Paris, SIAL Canada, SIAL China, SIAL ASEAN Manila, and SIAL InterFOOD were present to showcase their innovative products to buyers and visitors.
- World Summit by SIAL: a 3-day global summit focusing on food & beverage innovation with 50+ speakers from around the world. 4 dedicated streams including World Food Innovation Summit, Hotel & Restaurant Summit, Mass & Airline Catering and Food Retail & Import/Export.
- The Mercurys Award: the Mercurys is the most prestigious award in travel catering, worldwide. Running for 34 years, in 2015 the award was completely refreshed with new categories and judges. The award ceremony was held on 7th December at Shangri-La Abu Dhabi. Winners were announced across 5 different categories.
- World Tour: working with Nielsen (the research company), the most up-to-date information on retail and eating habits from 33 countries across the world is presented on the show floor, including representation from all GCC countries.
- Global Chefs Challenge Semi-final: in 2015, the Global Chefs Challenge Semi-final was held alongside La Cuisine by SIAL. 7 teams from across the region competed in 3 competitions including Global Chefs, Global Pastry Chefs & Hans Bueschkens Young Chefs Challenge.
- La Cuisine VIP Evening: in 2015, more than 100 senior chefs in the region attended the La Cuisine VIP Evening hosted by SIAL Middle East at Shangri-La Abu Dhabi
- Barista Competition: the Regional Barista Championship highlights the skills and knowledge of the region’s best coffee makers.
- Food imports account for 90% of UAE food needs:
- Main products for imports: meat, palm oil, rice, sugar, barley
- Main suppliers: Brazil, India, USA, Australia, Canada
- Today, UAE is the world's third largest re-exporter of food (after Hong Kong and Singapore): 50% of imported foods are re-exported to 160 countries
- Main products for exports: Dairy products, oils, sugar, confectionery, coffee, tea, cocoa, cereals, fruit and vegetables
- By 2017, the UAE’s total food consumption is expected to hit US$10bn while the food market in the GCC is estimated at US$50bn
- GCC is home to 3 of the top 10 airlines in the world (Qatar Airways, Emirates, Etihad Airways): the regional airline catering industry averages an annual growth of 5.6%